World Oceans Day is June 8th
World Oceans Day is a global day of ocean celebration and collaboration for a cleaner, healthier future. This year, on June 8th, individuals from across the globe will particpate in numerous ocean and water conservation events focusing on finding solutions to plastic pollution.
There are multiple reasons why the oceans are important:
- They provide us food
- They regulate our ever changing climate
- Around 1/2 of the population lives along the coastal zone
- Ocean-businesses constribute more than $500 billion to the worlds economy (PPO)
- They generate over 1/2 of the oxygen we breathe
- They clean the water we drink
- They are an intregal part of the water cycle
- 90% of all trade between countries is carried across oceans (WWF)
- They offer an endless amount of medicines
- We are ALL depedent on its health
- They inspire us!
Here in Oregon, there are events happening across the state for World Oceans Day. Click on the events below for more information:
- World Oceans Day Beachwalk | Oregon Shores Conservation Coalition - June 8th
- Nye Beach Clean Up | Ocean Blue Project - June 8th
- Oregon Ocean Day "Day For All Beach Goers" | Oregon Blue Project - June 11th
- World Oceans Day 2017 Celebration | Oregon Coast Aquarium - June 24
Visit WorldOceansDay.org to find what events are happening in your local area.
Don't forget to tag your social media posts on June 8th with: #WORLDOCEANSDAY